PDA

View Full Version : A question of actual incest.

crzy67
01-17-2009, 11:30 AM
A close friend has a question that she would like to have you're opinions on.

She has a stepbrother. Her mom remarried when she was 17. The step brother is the same age as well. Ten years on they are in love and want to live together as a couple. She thinks that it's OK but her stepbrother wonders if it would be incest.

I myself don't think that it is. They did not grow up together and only fell in love over the past few years. I think for them, the worry is more of a public perception on this issue. What do you think?

Mathilda
01-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I see no moral complications; depending on whether they where adopted by their respective stepparents, there might be legal ones, though.
Public perception might be an issue, although if they never thought of each other as siblings and they moved out soon after highschool, few people are likely to think of them as relatives, regardless of knowing of their technical connection. In this case the bigger an issue they themselves make of it, the more disapproval they will face.
The most important perception (asside of theirs) might well be that of their parents.

Dr_Artichoke
01-17-2009, 12:38 PM
I see no moral complications; depending on whether they where adopted by their respective stepparents, there might be legal ones, though.
Public perception might be an issue, although if they never thought of each other as siblings and they moved out soon after highschool, few people are likely to think of them as relatives, regardless of knowing of their technical connection. In this case the bigger an issue they themselves make of it, the more disapproval they will face.
The most important perception (asside of theirs) might well be that of their parents.

I generally agree with Mathilda. This would not be technical, "biological" incest - they're not blood relatives. However, there would undoubtedly be social disapprobation (disapproval) - especially within the extended family. I'm not sure about the legal situation, especially if it comes to having kids.

I'm reminded of Woody Allen falling in love and having a relationship with his adopted daughter. He was subjected to stinging societal revulsion and denunciation.

Dr_Artichoke

Jillicious
01-17-2009, 10:13 PM
One of my friends has a cousin who is married to his step-sister. Their parents have since been divorced. But what do you expect of two teenagers when they are left home alone. a lot.

frankjohnmoore
10-08-2009, 01:01 AM
theres no blood between them,

myrasimmons45
10-08-2009, 04:25 AM
Whatever the perceptions of the two of them, the extended family or society, its not incest. Incest is sexual relationss between close (defined differently in different countries) blood relatives. Since they are actually no more related to each other than their respective parents who decicded to marry, they are free to have any type of relationship they desire.

As for the biased views of extended family or others who would frown on them, they should be ignored. That is an attempt to control someone else over which you have, nor should have, any control. The only feelings that matter, in this case, are those of the two people involved. If they are in love and want to be mated to each other, go for it and make the best of it. If there are feelings of unease, find the source, discuss it, proccess it and then make a decision to go ahead with being a couple or not. That way, the decision is entirely theirs, the way it should be

ironeagle2
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
there is no blood relation so there is no incest

kumogekkou
10-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Without a blood relation there would be no incest, I'm not sure there would be any legal issue with it either even if you were adopted (not positive on that one) because you would be adopted not a true child.

As far as public perception goes, it shouldn't be a big deal if they've been dating they've most likely introduced each other as boyfriend/girlfriend not my step brother, since you have different last names I wouldn't see any reason why anyone would question it except maybe at the wedding ceremony when his father gives you away or something like that but even still if you love each other, does it really matter that your parents happened to love each other also.

hialt
10-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I see nothing wrong with it.