PDA

View Full Version : Carroll Shelby, Automotive Legend Dies

gobbledoc
05-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Carroll Shelby, Automotive Legend Dies
by Chariot
Published on 05-11-2012 02:05 PM
0 Comments
Carroll Shelby, who was a longtime partner to Ford Motor Company performance vehicles, passed away yesterday at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. He was 89.

The following statement is attributable to Edsel B. Ford II, member of the Board of Directors of Ford Motor Company and great-grandson of Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motor Company.

"Today, we have lost a legend in Ford Motor Company’s history, and my family and I have lost a dear friend. Carroll Shelby is one of the most recognized names in performance car history, and he’s been successful at everything he’s done. Whether helping Ford dominate the 1960s racing scene or building some of the most famous Mustangs, his enthusiasm and passion for great automobiles over six decades has truly inspired everyone who worked with him. He was a great innovator whose legend at Ford never will be forgotten. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

crzy67
05-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Sad to hear this news. He did a lot to change the automotive industry. I had a family member how use to race his Cobras. I even rode in one of them many years ago. I will miss Carroll Shelby and all that he did.

Marlene38EE
05-11-2012, 10:53 PM
The outboard engines on Shrike, in my sci-fi series are Shelby-Turmansky manufacture; Shelby because I figured he was getting on in years and close to the end--I know about him and Smokey Yunick from John and hubby.
The 'Turmansky' is included as homage to the monster engines in the fictional Mig-31 Firefox.
If Carrol Shelby had built fighter planes--Firefox woulda been one of his. :)
Big engines and high performance, the two names just worked together and my way of keeping Mr. Shelby's name alive.
Wherever he is, I hope he likes my gesture.

espana
05-30-2012, 12:47 AM
I have a 7.5 shelby cobra in bits in my garage dragged from an old garage in Hartney whitney got about another 12 months work before its re registerd in Spain

Marlene38EE
05-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Fitting Legacy. :-)
I'm sure he'll be smiling down on you from wherever he's racing now.
Best of luck in the rebuild!!