PDA

View Full Version : Some people need to do more than bitch and bellache, and get a fucking grip.

groomleader
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
A news item from where I used to live :

The Earls restaurant chain has decided to drop a certain word from its ‘Albino Rhino’ beer, in response to a human rights complaint from some who have a rare genetic condition.

The popular beer brand was created 25 years ago – and was named after the white rhinoceros.

Officials with the restaurant chain said in a statement they didn’t believe the name of the product was discriminatory, but learned through the human rights complaint process that some people with albinism are genuinely offended.

Earls has planned to drop the 'Albino Rhino' name from it's products by April 23, following a human rights complaint from people with albinism.

The complaint was filed in early 2012, and was accepted by the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal in December, but was rescinded in light of the company’s plan to discontinue the brand name.

Earls said the company "did not agree with the complaint," but wants "all members of the public to feel welcome at our restaurants and, accordingly, we no longer feel it is appropriate to use the word 'albino' as part of our marketing."

The woman who filed the complaint with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal said having the ‘Albino Rhino’ product on the Earls menu was demeaning, and humiliating.

Albinism is a rare genetic condition where the body doesn’t produce or distribute melanin – which gives colour to skin, eyes and hair.

The company said plans are in place to remove the product from its menu by April 23, it’s not clear what the brand name will be after that date.

Demeaning and humiliating?
I don't see a concerted effort of racism against people with albinism, do you?
It's named after the very rare trait of albinism in rhinos, which has been seen once or twice in the wild, and it was named 25 years ago.

Some people are so full of shit...

I'm sick of those asshats who are just looking at EVERYTHING, hoping to find some way to slant it as a slam against them. Earls's should have told the BC HRC to fuck off and die. If they try to throw their weight around, just say "See you in court, assholes." Hey, and let's idntify these whining crybabys who have the freedom to yeall about everything, yet hide from the press. Fucking cowards.

I've heard from several of my friends who are going to tell Earl's, loud and clear, that they will no longer patronize the restaurant, due to Earl's lack of spine.

Brigit Astar
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
So many people want the right these days not to be offended by anything. There's always something some people can find to be offended by. It's gotten ridiculous.

groomleader
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Damn right Brigit, I miss the days when I was a kid, if a person was offended by something, they just got over it, without crybabying to a human righs commission (don't those government clowns have something better to do, like investigate cases of REAL human rights abuses?).

Brigit Astar
03-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Right on, groomleader. The crap that's going on makes me think that these people have no life. So they sue somebody for allegdly being offended. They're really pathetic.

singleot
05-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Who remembers the Frito Bandito slogan? That got shot down because it was offensive, now there is a large Mexican franchise starting up here in California called Burrito Bandito, there are 4 stores I know of in my area, and I wonder how long it will last. Then again, if it's actually owned by Mexicans it will probably never come under attack.

simpledarling85
05-06-2013, 07:48 PM
People have lost all common sense. I work with someone who is in her 50s and has sued 2 drs and EVERY employer she's ever worked for. I refuse to be afraid of her silly ass though. When I played a joke saying the boss was on his way, she said it was harassment. I told her that I'd love to show in court how many people she's defrauded. That shut her up. People make a living out of being offended. Sheeeesh!

groomleader
05-06-2013, 10:57 PM
It's ludicrous, they way some people have to slant everything as some kind of slam against them.
I miss the days when I was a kid, and the "Jeez, what's the matter, can't you take a joke?" was sufficient.
If somebody ever had the fucking nerve to tell me that they were offended by something I said, I'd tell them that I am offended by their puffed up sense of importance, and that they can take their offense, and just fuck right off. When you get to be in your 50's, you've had enough of these fucking assholes. We should NOT suffer fools gladly.

Brigit Astar
05-07-2013, 12:02 PM
This is a true incident: A couple of weeks ago a guy came into the newspaper office where I work and demanded to know why his letter to the editor that he had sent to the paper a week ago had not been printed. We explained to him that sometimes we are overloaded with letters to the editor and it sometimes takes us a couple of weeks to print a letter in the paper. The guy went ballastic--accusing us--in a very loud voice--of censorship, and other dastardly crimes. He threatened to sue the newspaper. Dana--the editor of the newspaper--finally had enough of this jerk's raving, so she more or less told him to fuck off. He left in a huff threatning to sue.