PDA

View Full Version : So you want to write a story...

niteowluk2003
10-26-2015, 02:20 PM
HI,
I JUST THOUGHT THAT THIS MAY BE USEFUL TO SOME OF THE BUDDING AUTHORS ON THIS SITE.

The urge to write.

I am sure at some time or other the urge to write is amongst us all. For some it will be the need to create a story for our children, for others it may be seen as therapy and in many cases it will prove to be an artistic vent. But what to do when you have given birth to your beloved book. Learn from my experiences. There are always two approaches about writing for others to read and they are intended for family only; or intended to be published as a proper book with all that goes with the sales and publishing.

The first step along the road to writing is to actually create the book and below there are a few helpful tips to make writing a pleasant experience.

1. Make your writing experience enjoyable!
By this I mean write only when you feel the urge to do so; do not try to force the written words from you on say grounds of a deadline. Writing in a relaxed enjoyable frame of mind will let your creative juices flow much more freely and you will see that it leads to better written work in the end.

2. Dividing your book into Chapters!
Once you have developed your idea of your beloved novel; ensure you break it down into logical chapters as this will improve your writing style much more freely than having to go back on your work to separate the actions into chapters. For example; if you’re main character changes his place of residence like from Liverpool to Manchester then that would be a natural break to form a closing of one chapter and the beginning of another.

3. Story Board or no Story board?
Some Authors find it better to plan out the book by creating a story board. This in effect is a map of your creation; it usually follows a pattern of beginning, middle and end (This is the simplest of story board's). More complicated storyboards would have your main characters at certain places by certain stages of your book. This helps in the natural flow of your story line. I prefer to let the story flow in my mind and write from that.

4. Corrections!
Do not be afraid to review your book several times and make any corrections you feel may be necessary. I personally put sections of my books to one side and sometimes involve friends and family to read it as proof readers; they are more likely to spot typo errors than you the author because you know what you mean to say in words and they would be able to give you the impression of someone picking up on the actual written words direction of flow.

5. Try to end your book logically. That is unless you want to create a sequel; the most logical and easiest end of the story would be the removal of the main character (either by death or leaving for a fresh start).A sequel could be that family heirs delve into the main characters history and discover things they never knew about that character. A critical eye is then needed to ensure you have not dragged your reader too far by overdoing the length of story and always remember to keep both feet on the ground by avoiding impossible events (like the girl he met being the next queen or first lady) the more realistic your tale the easier it is to engage the reader.

6. Dialogue.
This is probably the hardest to get right; but as a rule of thumb I try to make my dialogue realistic and just about what anyone would say in an ordinary situation.

Kimiko
02-07-2018, 06:13 PM
I find the duplications very distracting and annoying.

"The easy way to prevent these problems in transferring large amount of written text is either to break them down into individual chapters and copy and paste them to consecutive threads, or secondly; and this takes more time; to use the preview before posting and go through your post line by line. Hope this helps as it does detract from a good story by making the readers brain focus on errors rather than your hard work."

I will say that other than the mistakes I mentioned I found the piece somewhat interesting and informative. I always think it's best to offer a tiny bit of encouragement even if I have to dig hard to find it.

Yes, I'm well aware the post is eleven years old.